American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor Training (R. 21)
Participant must hold a current certification in Adult CPR/AED or higher (View accepted certifications)
ARC Basic Life Support certification recommended to bridge as an American Red Cross BLS Instructor.
Part 1: Online Portion (Approximately 2 hours)
Must be completed before In-Person Session, if you are unable to launch the course, please contact Red Cross Tech Support at (800) 733-2767
The online session provides:
• An orientation to the American Red Cross.
• An introduction to the First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor course.
• An overview of the First Aid/CPR/AED program and materials.
• Information about teaching strategies and techniques, including videos about conducting skill practices and assessment scenarios and using a critical eye.
• Information about being an American Red Cross instructor.
• The Instructor Agreement and Instructor Code of Conduct.
• A final exam.
Part 2: In-Person Session (10:00AM - 3:30PM)
Please bring the following to class:
• Photo Identification (State ID or Driver's License Preferred)
• Printout or screenshot of your First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor Online Course Completion
The In-Person Session includes:
• Lesson 1: Course Introduction
• Lesson 2: First Aid/CPR/AED Skill Practice and Polish
• Lesson 3: First Aid/CPR/AED Program Materials Review (optional)
• Lesson 4: Conducting Effective Skill Practice and Assessment Scenarios
• Lesson 5: Course Wrap-Up
During the in-person session, instructor candidates must actively participate in all lesson activities and demonstrate
• Performing First Aid/CPR/AED skills
• Using training course materials*
• Conducting skill practice and assessment scenarios
• Evaluating participants’ progress
*Please note all training course materials required for Teaching Assignments will be provided for class-use only. You will still need to obtain materials listed below once you become a Certified Instructor and begin conducting classes of your own.
Instructor candidates are required to have the following materials in print or digital format for conducting classes:
• Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor-Led Training course presentation (optional) (Download)
All resources are available for purchase at the Red Cross Store and accessible in the Red Cross Learning Center in the Instructor Candidate Resources section at no cost.
First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor Kit + Skill Boost Training Supplies